DIRT QUEEN SF'S GIFT GUIDE AND TIPS TO HELP STAY SANE OVER THE HOLIDAYS
2020 has taught us the greatest gift is our health. While Dirt Queen loves adaptogens and SO many other herbs and mushrooms - nothing will ever replace a healthy diet, regular exercise, drinking enough water, and getting a sound night’s sleep. Everything else is secondary. Now that we've made our disclaimer - onto the fun!
Adaptogens - such a big buzz word! What are they and how can they help you thrive this holiday season?
Adaptogens are natural matter (herbs/mushrooms/etc.) that "normalize" your body. They assist your body in adapting to changes in the environment.*
For example, Ashwagandha, an extremely popular adaptogen, is getting repeatedly recognized for not just helping people fall asleep, but having a normal wake cycle - people report not feeling groggy waking up.*
Adaptogens can help combat stress, support your immune system, and even nourish your brain. *
Which means you can be more chill, help your body fend off the unknown, and not forget about the special gift you were supposed to get this holiday season.* :)
You can shop by need below.
(PS. They can NOT help you ward off your aunt with the essential oils :-P)
For an herb, plant, or mushroom to be considered an adaptogen it must meet four sets of criteria:
- Non-Toxic - they must have no ill effects at normal therapeutic doses.
- Non-Specific - they must work holistically in the body.
- Normalizing - they must have a normalizing effect on the body - they assist your body in adapting to changes in the environment.*
- Neuroendocrine - they must have an influence on our neuroendocrine system. Specifically either the HPA or SNS - the two responsible for helping our body adapt to stress - IE changes in the environment.
These are our top 3 picks for helping you this holiday season with Immune Support:
1.Goldmine Supershroom Immune Support- Goldmine is based out of San Francisco and is woman-founded. They create blends with high quality mushroom extracts with high Beta Glucans, Their Supershroom Immune Support also has Astragulus - one of our favorite herbs for immune system support
2. ORiVEDA CCCE - ORiVEDA is best in class for their mushroom supplements and extracts. Their price point isn't for everyone, but their supplements are of the highest quality available.
3. OM Immune Supplement. OM farms all of their mushrooms right here in California. They provide great mushroom extracts and are our #1 choice for people just starting out and want to purely try medicinal mushrooms.
For stress management:
1. Peak and Valley - Balance my Stress Adaptogen Blend with Reishi, Eleuthero and Ashwagandha our three favorite adaptogens for stress management. Peak and Valley is a small woman-owned business based out of Seattle - vegan, wildcrafted or organic, and mindfully sourced.
2. Goldmine - Their original adaptogen blend is a favorite by SO many San Francisco locals and all over the country! It has Ashwagandha and Reishi - two of our favorite adaptogens for stress management - it also has Chaga, a powerful antioxidant, and Cordyceps a powerful mushroom for stamina.
3. Rock Grace - Rock Grace is one of our favorite beverages for gifts this Christmas. If you're looking for something to help balance your stress, or give a classy gift - look no further. Rock Grace is also based out of Seattle. Their Crystal Elixir contains Botanicals and Adaptogens to help balance stress. It's also great for at home spa days. It has Eleuthero, Schisandra Berry, and Rhodiola.
1. MushUp Spark Cognitive Coffee - MushUp is an incredible and easy way to get the benefits of both Lions Mane and Reishi. Lions Mane is a huge part of the reason Dirt Queen Started. MushUp using Fair Trade whole beans in lieu of ground coffee puts them way ahead of any other Mushroom Coffee on the market in our opinion. Good for coffee connoisseurs and people interested in the benefits of adaptogenic mushrooms.
2. ORiVEDA Lions Mane - This isn't a blend, but our favorite for people looking for an incredible way to help their cognition. You can read more about the benefits of Lions Mane Here. and our top favorite products with Lions Mane. OM Mushrooms makes great Lions Mane Products as well.
3. FunGirl Cacao Bar - Again, not a blend, but we're all about easy ways to get products into your routine - that's how you get the benefits - what better way to get Lions Mane than starting off your day with two DELICIOUS pieces of chocolate? FunGirl is a woman-owned business out of Southern California.
4. Kola Goodies Green Latte Blend - The main ingredient - Gotu Kola! Kola Goodies describes Gotu Kola as, "an Ayurvedic super herb and nervine that helps maintain healthy neurotransmitter function for mental clarity, alertness, and enhanced memory. It boosts blood circulation and stimulates collagen production to heal skin and keep it healthy." We can't say enough good things about their Green Latte Blend