Happy Thursday, Don’t forget - we have our Autumn promo going through Sunday, September 27th - save 15% off your whole purchase by using Autumn15 at checkout.
It’s autumn which means the Pumpkin Spice Latte and its loyal followers are in full force. We saw a fun and healthy alternative on Reddit the other day so we decided to give it a try. (plz don’t hate us - we know pumpkin spice creates a lot of emotions)
The short version is this: combine a tablespoon of some pumpkin purée with some nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground clove to taste in your morning cup of coffee - but more details below! (Pro Tip: if this sounds like too much for you - try adding some Sacramento Bee Keeping Pumpkin Spice Cream Honey to your coffee - shop here.)
1. Coffee. Whatever type you enjoy and however you like to brew it. We used MushUp Coffee because of its medicinal mushroom benefits. However, MushUp coffee is pretty amazing on its own. It hurt us a little on the inside to mask its flavor. Still, it was good and you’re getting a powerhouse of a drink. (BTW, we have more bags of Spark on order - this will be restocked soon.
2. Pumpkin Puree - 1/2 Tbsp to 1 tbsp. The amount will largely depend on your taste. We suggest going for one with no added sugars or making your own. Sugar pumpkins are cheap and found around grocery stores everywhere right now. We found this “Farmers Market” one that was pretty good! What's great about using pumpkin is it naturally sweetens your coffee and has some fiber! Fiber slows the absorption of sugar and helps digestion which helps the waistline. Pumpkin is also rich in Vitamin A, vitamin C, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, and Iron.
3. Spices - We suggest starting with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of ground cloves (1 ground clove - our guesstimate is this is about a quarter tsp), and 1/4-1/2 tsp of nutmeg. The original Redditer used a small amount of vanilla extract, some cinnamon, and allspice. Play around with it and see what you think. Remember, you can always add more but subtracting spice from a beverage doesn't work well.
4. A milk of your choosing - we suggest something plant-based, but do you! We used some unsweetened oat milk.
1. Brew your coffee
2. While your coffee is brewing put your pumpkin puree and spices in your coffee cup
3. After your coffee is brewed combine a small amount of coffee with your pumpkin puree and spices in your coffee cup - if you have a frother, use that! (That's what we did)
4. Mix in more coffee
5. Poor in your favorite milk (we suggest something plant based and used Oatmilk)
6. Stir and enjoy!